School excursionSpecial Offer
Giidany Miirlarl: A special site
Stage 2 (Years 3-4), HSIE, Muttonbird Island Nature Reserve
This Stage 2 (Years 3-4) school excursion in Muttonbird Island Nature Reserve focuses on HSIE. Aboriginal Discovery rangers will introduce students to the cultural significance of Giidany Miirlarl (moon sacred place) to the Gumbaynggirr People, and the fascinating life-cycle of the wedge-tailed shearwaters (muttonbirds).
Read more about Giidany Miirlarl: A special site
Meet at the new outdoor learning venue at the base of Muttonbird Island Nature Reserve, before walking across to explore this important seabird habitat. Discover conservation actions to protect it, and be introduced to the surrounding Solitary Islands Marine Park.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 2 (Years 3-4)|
|Key learning area||HSIE|
GE2-1. Examines features and characteristics of places and environments
GE2-2. Describes the ways people, places and environments interact
GE2-4. Acquires and communicates geographical information using geographical tools for inquiry
- Guided. Available on request.
- Muttonbird Island Nature Reserve
$225 per group (includes GST). Maximum 30 students per group. For groups over 30 conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- Outdoor learning centre at the base of Muttonbird Island Nature Reserve.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - North Coast
- 02 6657 2309
- 02 6657 2145
- in Muttonbird Island Nature Reserve in the North Coast region
Muttonbird Island Nature Reserve is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather, fire danger or scientific research.