School excursionSpecial Offer
WildThings at Sherwood Nature Reserve
Stage 1 (Years 1-2), Science and Technology, Sherwood Nature Reserve
Join us and discover the WildThings of Sherwood Nature Reserve in this science and technology excursion for Stage 1 (Years 1-2) students. Together we’ll investigate the living world, using our senses to explore this unique environment.
Read more about WildThings at Sherwood Nature Reserve
Using scientific fieldwork approaches, we’ll investigate the rainforest reserve beside Woolgoolga Creek picnic area. We’ll use hands-on investigations to make sense of the world around us, examining bugs and discussing their survival needs.
We’ll learn what’s involved in protecting this precious natural environment, home to towering flooded gums and blue quandongs.
Students will discover how the Gumbaynggirr People, the traditional custodians, lived in harmony with their environment for thousands of years.
This excursion is designed to support the K-6 Science and Technology syllabus’ Living World topic.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 1 (Years 1-2)|
|Key learning area||Science and Technology|
ST1-1WS-S. Observes, questions and collects data to communicate and compare ideas and comparing what they and others know
ST1-2DP-T. Uses materials, tools and equipment to develop solutions for a need or opportunity
ST1-4LW-S. Describes observable features of living things and their environments
ST1-5LW-T. Identifies how plants and animals are used for food and fibre products
- Weekdays during school terms.
- Guided. Available on request.
- Woolgoolga Creek picnic area, Sherwood Nature Reserve
- Easy. Guided activities on a grassed area, along an unsealed track and amongst the leaf litter and gravel creek bed. There are some shallow creek crossings.
$235 per group up to 20 students. GST included. For groups over 20 conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- Carpark at Woolgoolga Creek picnic area
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.