School excursionSpecial Offer
Early Stage 1 (Kindergarten), Science and Technology, Cape Byron State Conservation Area
Discover whale secrets in a playful mix of drama, games, story and ocean discovery for Early Stage 1 (Kindergarten) students. This excursion supports the Living World topic of the K-10 Science and Technology syllabus.
Read more about Whale secrets
Students will learn about the characteristics and needs of humpback whales. They'll explore the benefits these animals provide to human beings.
They will meet Bowe the humpback whale and explore his life story. Students will make informal measurements and record observations using labels and tables.
Students will come away with a greater understanding of this important species.
There is dedicated time for whale watching and seeking out other marine animals and seabirds from fantastic vantage points throughout this iconic reserve.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Early Stage 1 (Kindergarten)|
|Key learning area||Science and Technology|
STe-1WS-S. Observes, questions and collects data to communicate ideas
STe-2DP-T. Develops solutions to an identified need
STe-3LW-ST. Explores the characteristics, needs and uses of living things
Weekdays during school term.
- Guided. Available on request.
- Cape Byron State Conservation Area
- Easy. Guided activities in a national park, on formed and uneven bushwalking tracks and on a grassy picnic area. The track from the lighthouse to Wategos Beach is around 1km.
$10.50 per person (includes GST). Minimum fee of $210.00 (includes GST). Teachers and other staff are free.
- No wheelchair access
- Meeting point
- Cape Byron Lighthouse precinct at the end of Lighthouse Road, Byron Bay. Groups meet on the verandah of the northern side of the Lighthouse Keepers Cottage (visitor centre).
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Byron Bay
- 02 6620 9300
- 02 6620 9333
- Tallow Beach Road, Byron Bay NSW
- in Cape Byron State Conservation Area in the North Coast region
- Cape Byron State Conservation Area is open all hours, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Cape Byron Lighthouse precinct is open 8am to sunset.
- The Maritime Museum in the former Lighthouse Keeper’s office at the base of the lighthouse is open 10am to 4pm daily.
- Opening before 8am for events or disabled access can be arranged by prior notice – contact NPWS Byron Bay office during business hours 02 6639 8300.
Park entry fees:
Cape Byron Lighthouse precinct and Information Centre: $8 per vehicle per hour/$4 per hour motorcycles. Maximum 1 hour per vehicle per calendar day, including all NPWS annual passholders.
Captain Cook lookout, Cosy Corner, and The Pass: $4 per vehicle/motorcycle per hour. Coin-operated and credit card payment available.
Coach entry: $26 per coach up to 30 seats; $50 per coach 31 to 43 seats; $83 per coach 44 seats and over.Buy annual pass