School excursionSpecial Offer
Stage 2 (Years 3-4), HSIE, Lake Innes Nature Reserve
Explore the ruins of Lake Innes House on the History Mysteries school excursion to Innes Ruins within Lake Innes Nature Reserve. How did Major Innes and his family became some of the richest people in the colony? This excursion for Stage 2 (Years 3-4) students focuses on HSIE.
Read more about History mysteries
Explore the extensive ruins of convict-built Lake Innes House and adjoining coach yard. Innes Ruins is a place where you can go on a journey through time to days of early settlement in north coast NSW. Built by Major Archibald Clunes Innes, it holds a rich history which tells stories of the culture of the 1800s, and convict labour.
Unlock the mysteries of the area and find out who the convicts were, what crimes they committed, where they came from as well as how they managed to survive. Find out what happened to Innes House and why it became a ruin in such a charming, lakeside setting.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 2 (Years 3-4)|
|Key learning area||HSIE|
HT2-2. Describes and explains how significant individuals, groups and events contributed to changes in the local community over time
HT2-4. Describes and explains effects of British colonisation in Australia
HT2-5. Applies skills of historical inquiry and communication
GE2-3. Examines differing perceptions about the management of places and environments
Weekdays, during school term.
- Guided. Available on request.
- Innes Ruins, Lake Innes Nature Reserve
- Easy. Walking along rough pathway and around the Innes Ruins.
$225 per group (includes GST). Maximum 25 students per group. For groups over 25 conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- South end of Ruins Way, off John Oxley Drive, Port Macquarie.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Port Macquarie
- (02) 6588 5519
- NPWS Manning - Hastings Area Office, 22 Blackbutt Rd Port Macquarie NSW 2444
- in Lake Innes Nature Reserve in the North Coast region
Lake Innes Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Port Macquarie
(02) 6588 5555 for general enquiries only, no bookings.
Contact hours: 9am-4.30pm Monday to Friday
- 22 Blackbutt Road, Port Macquarie NSW
- Fax: (02) 6588 5500
- Port Macquarie