Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
Do you enjoy volunteering in the great outdoors? Join the hunt for orange hawkweed and help eradicate this Class 1 Noxious weed from the Jagungal Wilderness Area in Kosciuszko National Park.
Summer each year
- Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
- Hard. Suitable for adults and teens 18 years and over. You'll need a good level of physical fitness (surveys require a lot of walking). You'll be walking approximately 4km a day, negotiating natural rough and uneven terrain (no paths) and moderate slopes on uneven surfaces.
Free shared accommodation in Khancoban (Sunday evening through to Saturday morning). Free food for meals (volunteers to prepare their own meals). If you have any special dietary requirements, please inform NPWS when booking. Free transport to and from Khancoban to the survey areas.
- Meeting point
- Meet at the NPWS office in Khancoban for an induction and safety briefing. Transport to and from Khancoban to the survey areas provided by NPWS.
- Bookings required. For further information, phone the NPWS Khancoban office on (02) 6076 9373 or Tumut office on (02) 6947 7000. Maximum of 4 volunteers per week.
Orange hawkweed is a serious threat to the Australian Alps and surrounding environments, including productive farmland. It's known to out-compete native and pastoral plants, and is capable of creating a mono-culture.
Since 2009, over 300 volunteers have helped us in the search for orange hawkweed across the Jagungal Wilderness Area. Volunteers are instrumental in protecting sensitive environments from hawkweed invasion, by finding and hand-treating plants. Week-long surveys coincide with the peak flowering period in January each year, when orange hawkweed is easier to detect.
Surveys are conducted in some of the most scenic areas of Kosciuszko National Park. Volunteers will stay in Khancoban. All bed linen and towels are supplied. To ensure your stay is safe and comfortable, remember bring:
- Personal medication (eg EPI pen, hay fever prevention)
- Good waterproof walking boots
- Thick socks
- Long pants and long-sleeved shirts
- Hat (broad rimmed, shades face and neck)
- Warm clothing and wet weather gear (weather changes rapidly, even in summer)
- Gaiters (preferably not Velcro, as this collects seed)
- Drinking water (1 litre bottle)
- Day pack/backpack
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Casual clothes and toiletries.
- in the Khancoban area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Khancoban area is open all year, but access along the Khancoban to Cabramurra Road is closed in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Entry passes available from Khancoban Visitor Centre's 24-hour vending machines.Buy an annual pass.
- Khancoban Visitor Centre
(02) 6076 9373
(02) 6076 9382
Contact hours: 9am-4pm (closed 12.30pm-1pm) Monday to Friday. Open daily during peak summer season and school holidays.
- Corner Scammell Street and Alpine Way, Khancoban NSW 2642
- Fax: (02) 6076 9567
- Khancoban Visitor Centre