Macquarie Nature Reserve
Step back in time and explore the rooms of Roto House, a beautifully preserved, late-Victorian building. If you're lucky you might spot a koala in the surrounding trees.
- Historic buildings/places
- Macquarie Nature Reserve
- Opening times
Roto House is:
- Open daily 10am – 4.30pm, but closed on Christmas Day, Easter Sunday and Anzac Day morning.
- Roto House is staffed by volunteers, so occasionally visitors may find it closed due to unavailability of staff.
- What to
- Sunscreen, drinking water, hat
- Please note
- Bring your binoculars to see birds and koalas, as well as a camera.
From the moment you pass the picket fence and enter the bull-nosed verandah of Roto House, it feels as though you've stepped back in time. Passing inside the front door flanked by ruby lights, you'll enter a grand hallway decorated with cast iron lamps suspended from the ceiling.
Built by surveyor John Flynn in 1891, this 11 room weatherboard house constructed from local red mahogany was occupied by his family right up until 1979. It's still lovingly maintained by the National Parks and Wildlife Service to this day.
Volunteers are available to answer questions and show you around if you're part of a pre-booked tour group.
Weddings can also be booked here and there's plenty of space to set up a marquee. The house and gardens make a unique backdrop for any celebration, ensuring your photos will be special.
If you're just here for the afternoon, make sure the kids get to experience one of the highlights of the park; the Koala Hospital.
Sign up to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with information, new products, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Saving our Species is a innovative conservation program in NSW. It aims to halt and reverse the growing numbers of Australian animals and plants facing extinction. This program aims to secure as many threatened species that can be secured in the wild as possible, for the next 100 years.
- in Macquarie Nature Reserve in the North Coast region
Macquarie Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Port Macquarie
(02) 6588 5555 for general enquiries only, no bookings.
Contact hours: 9am-4.30pm Monday to Friday
- 22 Blackbutt Road, Port Macquarie NSW
- Fax: (02) 6588 5500
- Port Macquarie