Trial Bay Gaol
Arakoon National Park
If you’re looking to hire a venue with a historic twist, look no further than Trial Bay Gaol in Arakoon National Park. Set against a backdrop of historic ruins, you and your guests will enjoy a glimpse into Australian history while enjoying your event.
- Venue is suitable for
- Wedding ceremonies
- Maximum people: 500
- Amenities block, picnic tables, barbecue facilities, boat ramp, drinking water, toilets
For fee information, please email the Events and Venues Unit or
phone (02) 9585 6570.
- Venue available for exclusive hire
- A completed application form should be received at least 6 months in advance of the event in order to assure availability of your preferred venue and date(s) and adequate time for the review process by NPWS. Initial assessment of the event application, site plan and supporting documentation may take 2-3 weeks. Please contact the Events and Venues Unit for information regarding cancellations.
- Other Information
- Filming and photography shoots on application
- This venue is suitable for movie screenings and theatrical performances. Please contact the Events & Venues Unit to discuss your requirements.
You and your guests can step back in time while enjoying your event at Trial Bay Gaol, soaking up the history and the amazing coastal views that surround the gaol.
Opened in 1886, after 13 years of construction, it must have been a strange feeling building a prison in such a beautiful setting. The prison labourers were there to construct a breakwater to make Trial Bay a safe harbour between Sydney and Brisbane. Unfortunately the scheme failed, but you and your guests still be able to see the remains of the breakwater from the guard tower lookout. During World War I, the gaol became an internment camp for people of German descent who were feared to be enemy sympathisers.
Today, this picturesque historic ruin stands as a testament to those who lived and died here, with a museum and memorial for visitors to get a better idea of life in those days. The historic, scenic surroundings make Trial Bay Gaol an ideal venue.
For the latest updates on fires, closures and other alerts in this area, see https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/venues/trial-bay-gaol/local-alerts
- in Arakoon National Park in the North Coast region
Arakoon National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
All the practical information you need to know about Trial Bay Gaol.
Getting there and parking
- Flush toilets
- Wood barbecues (bring your own firewood)
- Gas/electric barbecues (coin-operated)