Basket Swamp horse riding trails
Basket Swamp National Park
Saddle up and explore 21km of horse riding trails in Basket Swamp National Park, near Tenterfield. You'll find rides suitable for all ages and experience levels on our network of fire trails.
- Basket Swamp National Park
- 21km of trails
- Time suggested
- 4-8 hr
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, suitable clothing
- Please note
- A GPS will be handy in this remote area.
- Please read our code of practice for horse riding in parks before you set out on your adventure.
- Please consider minimising the impact of introduced weeds and plants on Basket Swamp National Park by feeding horses a weed-free diet for two to four days prior to any extended trip to reduce the risk of seeds being spread through manure.
- There is limited mobile reception in this park.
Horse ride along 21km of trails at this remote and mountainous setting in Basket Swamp National Park. You’ll enjoy magnificent views from the top of granite tors, ride through fresh water streams and vast stretches of forest.
With 2 popular loops to choose from, Falls circuit and Wellington Creek circuit, there’s enough to keep you busy all day. Take the 15.5 km Falls circuit and challenge yourself on the steep climbs before cooling off in the rock pools at the top of Basket Swamp Falls.
After a picnic lunch, ride Wellington Creek circuit ride to Woollool Woolloolni Aboriginal Place, and take in spectacular views of the granite tors. There’s plenty of shade to rest in summer time, and the grounds will be blanketed in native wildflowers through spring.
Why not make a weekend of it and check out the horse riding trails in nearby Washpool National Park.
For the latest updates on fires, closures and other alerts in this area, see https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/things-to-do/horse-riding-trails/basket-swamp-horse-riding-trails/local-alerts
All the practical information you need to know about Basket Swamp horse riding trails.
Getting there and parking
Basket Swamp horse riding trails are in Basket Swamp National Park. To get there:
- From Tenterfield drive 14km north-east along Mt Lindesay Road
- At Lindrook Road follow the signposts for 4km to Basket Swamp National Park
- At the entrance you’ll find the horse float parking area near the park entrance
- Parking is available at the entrance of Basket Swamp National Park.
- Mixture of sealed and unsealed roads
- Most roads suitable for 2WD vehicles
- 4WD required in wet weather
Picnic tables are located at Basket Swamp falls and Woollool Woolloolni Aboriginal Place and toilet facilities can be found at the camping area in Boonoo State Forest
Maps and downloads
- Horse riding is permitted on all roads and fire trails in Basket Swamp National Park, unless otherwise sign posted.
- It is an offence to pick and collect plants from National Parks, including orchids and other threatened plant species, without an appropriate scientific licence.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.