Stage 1 (Years 1-2), Science and Technology, Glenrock State Conservation Area
Come on a WilderQuest WildThings excursion to explore Yuelarbah walking track. Designed for Stage 1 (Years 1-2) students and focusing on science and technology, investigate the living world this beautiful part of Glenrock State Conservation Area, home to amazing plants and animals.
Read more about WilderQuest WildThings
We will use our senses to explore the environment and find some places where animals have everything they need to survive. Students will work scientifically with hands on activities to investigate bugs and learn about animal habitats.
Students will immerse themselves through nature play and discovery to enrich their understanding of the diversity and relationships that thrive within our protected areas.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 1 (Years 1-2)|
|Learning area||Science and Technology|
- Weekdays during school terms.
- Guided. Available on request.
- Yuelarbah walking track, Glenrock State Conservation Area
- Medium. Guided walk along a partly sealed wheelchair friendly walking path. Activities amongst leaf litter and on a flat rock shelf beside a small stream.
$300 per group up to 20 students. For groups over 20 conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- Yuelarbah carpark on Burwood Road, Kahibah
- If you would like to organise a NSW National Parks school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire now' link for the online form
For the latest updates on fires, closures and other alerts in this area, see https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/education/stage-1-science-and-technology-wilderquest-wildthings-glenrock-state-conservation-area/local-alerts
- School excursion inquiries - Newcastle Hunter
- 02 4927 3267
- 02 4946 4150
- Hunter Wetland Centre, Sandgate Road, Shortland NSW
- in Glenrock State Conservation Area in the North Coast region
Glenrock State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Info for teachers
All the practical information you need to know about WilderQuest WildThings.
- A guided walk along a bush track to find evidence of animals and plants living in the area.
- Discover the bugs or invertebrates living in the area.
- Use the senses to explore the living world and appreciate how local animals use their senses to survive.
- Investigate what local wildlife need to survive and build a mini habitat for one of the animals.
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
Yuelarbah walking track is located at the eastern end of Glenrock State Conservation Area. To get there from Newcastle, Charlestown and Sydney, exit the pacific Highway at Dudley Road or Kahibah Road, then turn into Burwood Road.
Parking is available at Yuelarbah carpark on Burwood Road.
What to bring
It’s a good idea to wear long pants, closed comfortable shoes and bring a hat and sunscreen. Be ready for all weather conditions with a jumper and raincoat. And remember to bring food, water, first aid kit and any necessary medications.
Maps and downloads
Our rangers and guides have the technical skill and experience to assess the risks and the benefits of a variety of activities delivered as part of our learning programs.
We believe in including opportunities that allow students to learn and experience for themselves through exploration in the natural environment.
Please make your own risk assessment based on the information provided. Detailed potential risks and controls are provided for the site to assist teachers in risk management planning. Teachers and carers should be aware of, and consider the needs, abilities and medical conditions of students when visiting this site. The supervision of students remains the responsibility of the teacher. The school must ensure an adequate number of adult supervisors are present.
Disability access level - medium
Assistance may be required to access this area. The track to Flaggy Creek (roughly 1km) is wheelchair accessible. If you have someone with special needs, please let us know in advance so that we can plan accordingly.