Devils Hole campground
Barrington Tops State Conservation Area
Devils Hole campground offers picnicking, wildlife, scenic views, and fishing, in the plateau region of Barrington Tops State Conservation Area between Gloucester and Scone.
|Number of campsites||3|
|Camping type||Tent, Camper trailer site, Camping beside my vehicle|
|Facilities||Barbecue facilities, carpark, toilets|
|What to bring||Drinking water, cooking water, firewood|
Rates and availability are displayed when making an online booking.
|Bookings||Bookings are required. Book online or call the National Parks Contact Centre on 1300 072 757.|
At an altitude of 1,400m, Devils Hole campground is probably one of Australia’s highest camping spots. Sat upon the spectacular sub-alpine country of Barrington Tops State Conservation Area, it’s a fabulous base for exploring this important refuge for cold-climate woodlands, wetlands, and wildlife.
Pitch your tent or park the trailer among the snow gums in this superb little campsite. Or simply stop for a picnic before heading across the road to take in the views from Devils Hole lookout walk and picnic area across the Barrington wilderness. For more views try the nearby Thunderbolts lookout.
As the evening settles in, light up a campfire, cook a feast, and enjoy the sounds of the bush beneath a blanket of stars. Grab the torch for some night-spotting, with the chance to see greater gliders, spotted-tail quolls, and perhaps the rare powerful owl.
Remote Gummi Falls campground offers fishing, horse riding, mountain biking, and stargazing in Barrington Tops State Conservation Area, between Scone and Gloucester.
For the latest updates on fires, closures and other alerts in this area, see https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/camping-and-accommodation/campgrounds/devils-hole-campground/local-alerts
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Gloucester office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6538 5300
- 59 Church Street, Gloucester NSW 2422
All the practical information you need to know about Devils Hole campground .
Getting there and parking
Devils Hole campground is in the state conservation area of Barrington Tops State Conservation Area. To get there:
- Take Thunderbolts Way; this road becomes Scone Road and Barrington Tops Forest Road.
- The campground is located on the right after passing Thunderbolts lookout
- Take the Hunter Road from Scone
- Turn right on to Moonan Brook Road, then turn left on Barrington Tops Forest Road.
- The campground is on the left (opposite the picnic area), 7.5km past Polblue
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available beside your campsite at Devils Hole campground.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Barrington Tops State Conservation Area. Here are some of the highlights.
Take to the park's walking tracks to make the most of cooler and drier daytime weather.
Look out for ground orchids and other wildflowers along the Polblue Swamp walking track.
Look out for the eastern water dragon basking on rocks around the streams.
- Water is available at this campground, but it’s a good idea to bring your own supply for drinking and cooking.
- Picnic facilities, accessible toilets, and wood barbecues are located across the road at Devils Hole lookout.
- Non-flush toilets
- Wood barbecues (bring your own firewood)
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
Assistance may be required to access this area. The toilet at Devils Hole lookout and picnic area is 200m away and wheelchair-accessible.
Medium access presents some minor difficulties, such as a grassy surface. You may require a little assistance to get around in some areas.