Post Office Lodge
Yerranderie Regional Park
Stay at the historic Post Office Lodge as you explore Yerranderie Regional Park and its early mining settlement by 4WD. This self-catering accommodation sleeps up to 26.
|Facilities||Picnic tables, carpark, drinking water, showers, toilets, electric power, indoor fireplace, kitchen, plates and cutlery, pots and pans, towels, cot hire|
|What to bring||Bed sheets, food supplies|
Bookings can be made up to 12 months in advance. Please contact the Yerranderie caretaker for further information, price and availability.
Base yourself at Post Office Lodge in Yerranderie Regional Park and explore the historical Yerranderie Private Town, with its carefully restored buildings which hark back to its days as a silver mining settlement in the early 1900s.
Kick back with a cup of tea and watch the friendly resident kangaroos groom the lawns from the balcony, or enjoy a cosy evening by the fire. The lodge has pleasant, comfortable facilities, with two kitchens and hot showers.
Stay the night at Government Town campground near Yerranderie Regional Park. With unmarked sites for tents and camper trailers, you'll be moments away from the fascinating history of a forgotten silver mine ghost town.
Enjoy a relaxed stay at this rustic accommodation set in a historic silver mining ghost town.
At Private Town campground, you can camp within a historic ghost town with its rich mining heritage, while enjoying the rugged wilderness of Yerranderie Regional Park.
This historic accommodation in Yerranderie Private Town is perfect for exploring the early silver mining settlement and surrounding Yerranderie Regional Park.
For the latest updates on fires, closures and other alerts in this area, see https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/camping-and-accommodation/accommodation/post-office-lodge/local-alerts
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Yerranderie caretaker
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm
- 02 4659 6165
- in Yerranderie Regional Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Yerranderie Regional Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
All the practical information you need to know about Post Office Lodge.
Getting there and parking
Post Office Lodge is in Yerranderie Regional Park. To get there:
- Start at Oberon on Edith Road, then turn right after 8km onto Butter Factory Lane, which turns into Shooters Hill Road.
- Turn left onto Mount Werong Road (also known as Colong-Oberon Historic Stock Route) and follow this unsealed road past Mount Werong campground.
- Continue all the way along the crest of Murruin Range to Yerranderie Private Town. Stay on the main track and follow the signs.
Access to Post Office Lodge is only accessible from the Oberon-Colong Historic Stock Route. There is no access from Sydney (Oakdale).
- Protected water catchment areas prevent any access via the Burragong Valley, Picton and Oakdale. This is to protect Sydney's water quality.
- Online maps and GPS navigation devices do not show the right directions. Make sure you program Oberon as your initial destination, then Yerranderie Private Town.
- Unsealed roads
- All roads require 4WD vehicle
- 4WD required in wet weather
Parking is available at Post Office Lodge.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
17°C and 30°C
3°C and 18°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Post Office Lodge sleeps up to 26 people.
- Bedroom 1: 3 single bunks.
- Bedroom 2: 2 single bunks.
- Bedroom 3: 1 double bed; 1 single bunk.
- Bedroom 4: 1 double bed; 1 single bunk.
- Bedroom 5: 1 double bed; 1 single bunk.
- Bedroom 6: 1 double bed; 1 single bunk.
- Bathroom facilities include 1 male and 1 female toilet, and 2 male and 2 female showers.
- Pillows and blankets are provided.
- There are no rubbish bins available, so you'll need to take all rubbish with you when you leave.
- Flush toilets
There's a picnic table on the front lawn of Post Office Lodge, in Yerranderie Private Town.
- Hot showers
There are no power points in the bedrooms.
A wood heater is available in the lounge area (firewood supplied).
There are 2 kitchens, each with cooking utensils, cutlery, tableware, cookware, a fridge, kettle, gas hotplates, grill and oven.
Plates and cutlery
Pots and pans
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - no wheelchair access
Hard access is via steps or a steep slope, or you'll have to move across a rough surface with obstacles such as potholes, tree roots, and rocks. Assistance will be necessary.
Post Office Lodge is in Yerranderie Regional Park. Here are just some of the reasons why this park is special:
Yerranderie township has retained much evidence of its history as a mining settlement of the early 20th century through its various remains, sites, mines, architecture and ruins. These, in combination with remnant exotic plantings, road systems and subdivision patterns, bring its early settlement to life for visitors. Yerranderie appears to be the only 20th century mining site to be preserved quasi-intact in all of eastern NSW and is an exceptionally well-preserved archaeological site. The township has been lovingly preserved to reflect its history, but the land itself has not seen much subsequent development due to its isolation. An unusually rich assemblage of mining equipment can still be viewed in the mines, and the township has a varied selection of sites, remains, ruins and buildings.
Dramatic natural environment
Yerranderie lies at the centre of a broad visual catchment surrounded by sandstone escarpments and indigenous bushland. The combination of this spectacular natural setting, strong sense of isolation, and the remnants of mining and settlement activity of the past all contribute to give the township a powerful identity and sense of place.