Governor lookout walking track
Mount Kaputar National Park
Enjoy scenic mountain views over Grattai wilderness area from Governor lookout walking track.
- Mount Kaputar National Park
- 0.45km return
- Time suggested
- 15 - 30min
- Grade 2
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to Governor lookout walking track can be closed due to snow and ice
- The weather in the area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go birdwatching
With spellbinding scenic views over the magnificent Nandeawar and Grattai wilderness areas, Governor lookout walking track is a great addition to a car tour of Mount Kaputar National Park. The short accessible boardwalk from the carpark makes it a quick and easy stop over, ideal for families, groups and school excursions.
From the lookout, take in the dramatic volcanic landscape and the distinctive Governor rock formation. On a clear autumn day, the scenic mountain views go on forever and in winter you’ll see dramatic snow-capped peaks. It’s an ideal vantage spot to enjoy some birdwatching as wedge-tailed eagles are often seen circling above.
Experienced walkers will enjoy the challenge of Governor Summit walking track while skilled rock climbers will love the chance to test themselves.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Saving our Species is a innovative conservation program in NSW. It aims to halt and reverse the growing numbers of Australian animals and plants facing extinction. This program aims to secure as many threatened species that can be secured in the wild as possible, for the next 100 years.
- in Mount Kaputar National Park in the Country NSW region
Mount Kaputar National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
(02) 6792 7300
(02) 6792 4680 After hours emergency
Contact hours: 8.30am-4.30pm Monday to Friday
- 1/100 Maitland Street, Narrabri NSW. (Accessible via Dewhurst Street)
- Fax: (02) 6792 1133