Sensing the rainforest
Stage 2 (Years 3-4), Geography, Sea Acres National Park
Join us and explore the rainforest in this Stage 2 (Years 3-4) geography excursion in Sea Acres Rainforest Centre. Students will examine the wonders of this rainforest by the sea.
Read more about Sensing the rainforest
Through guided, sensory activities such as silent sit spots, blindfolded games and nature observation, students will become immersed in the rainforest.
Geographical concepts of place, space, environment and interconnection will be explored, and fieldwork observation will be put into practice.
Through fun activities, students will connect deeply with their environment and learn of its significance within a broad geographical context.
This excursion is designed to support the geography K-10 syllabus topic The earth’s environment.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 2 (Years 3-4)|
GE2-1. Examines features and characteristics of places and environments
GE2-2. Describes the ways people, places and environments interact
GE2-3. Examines differing perceptions about the management of places and environments
GE2-4. Acquires and communicates geographical information using geographical tools for inquiry
Weekdays during school term.
- Guided. Available on request.
$260 per group (includes GST). Maximum 30 students per group. For groups over 30 conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- Sea Acres Rainforest Centre
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
For the latest updates on fires, closures and other alerts in this area, see https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/education/stage-2-geography-sensing-rainforest-sea-acres-national-park/local-alerts
- School excursion inquiries - North Coast
- 02 6657 5935
- in Sea Acres National Park in the North Coast region
Sea Acres National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Info for teachers
All the practical information you need to know about Sensing the rainforest.
- Meet at Sea Acres Rainforest Centre
- Welcome, acknowledgement of Country and safety briefing
- Walk 1.3km along a boardwalk
- Interpretation by NPWS guide summarising the main natural and human impacts which put the ecosystem at risk
- Interpretation of rainforest features through various sensing games along the track
- Return to the rainforest centre for lunch and bus pickup
- Farewell and depart
Getting there and parking
Sea Acres Rainforest Centre is located at the entry to Sea Acres National Park. To get there:
- From Port Macquarie, head south along Pacific Drive.
- Sea Acres Rainforest Centre is on the left just after Shelly Beach Road
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Sea Acres Rainforest Centre.
What to bring
Please wear long pants, closed comfortable shoes and bring a hat and sunscreen. Be ready for all weather conditions with a jumper and raincoat. And remember to bring food and any necessary medications.
It’s a good idea to pack your belongings in a backpack rather than a plastic bag because we have some curious birds who may try to break in and share your lunch with you.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - easy
Easy access is free of obstacles such as steps, rough terrain or significant slopes, and may have ramps or boardwalks.