Goolawah Regional Park
Delicate campground, in Goolawah Regional Park near Crescent Head, offers beach camping and caravan camping and welcomes those camping with dogs. It’s the ideal Kempsey region camping spot.
|Number of campsites||50|
|Camping type||Tent, Camper trailer site, Caravan site, Camping beside my vehicle|
|What to bring||Drinking water, cooking water, fuel stove|
Rates and availability are displayed when making an online booking.
|Bookings||Bookings are required. Book online or call the National Parks Contact Centre on 1300 072 757.|
Create some family memories at Delicate campground. Being located in Goolawah Regional Park, you can even bring your dog along to the campground to join in the the family snaps. A fabulous spot for beach camping, this back-to-basics campground has all the ingredients for a classic beach holiday.
Take your pick of things to do: go surfing near Delicate Nobby; go whale watching or gaze at gulls wheeling in the breeze; go snorkelling or swimming in the clear waters; build a sandcastle or take the kids beachcombing.
Needless to say, this place is popular in summer, so if you’re seeking solitude, try visiting outside peak periods. Spring and autumn offer terrific conditions for beach activities, with the sand dunes keeping the heat and winds at bay.
You can bring your trailer or caravan, and you’re in luck if you want to bring your pooch along as well. Delicate campground is one of the few beach camping areas in northern NSW to allow dogs – though they’re limited to certain areas. Enjoy walking your dog on the off-leash beach or having him or her curl up beside you in your tent at night. Indeed, the things memories are made of.
For the latest updates on fires, closures and other alerts in this area, see https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/camping-and-accommodation/campgrounds/delicate-campground/local-alerts
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Kempsey office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6561 6700
- 247 Old Station Rd, Verges Creek NSW 2440
- in Goolawah Regional Park in the North Coast region
Goolawah Regional Park is always open, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
All the practical information you need to know about Delicate campground.
Getting there and parking
Delicate campground is located in Goolawah Regional Park. To get there:
- From South Kempsey, take Crescent Head Road.
- Just after entering Crescent Head village, take the prominent right turn to Point Plomer Road.
- Continue along Point Plomer Road until you find Goolawah Regional Park, which commences after Racecourse Headland.
- It’s a 10km drive from Crescent Head Road to Delicate campground
Check the weather before you set out as the road to this campground can become potholed and boggy when it rains.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- Dry weather only
Parking is available at Delicate campground.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Goolawah Regional Park. Here are some of the highlights.
This is a great time to go beachcombing, feel the sand between your toes on a beach walk, and breathe in the salty sea air. The water is still quite warm in autumn, too, so a swim is certainly not out of the question.
Roam through the park in spring to go birdwatching and see the coastal heathlands bursting with wildflowers. The colourful banksias and bottlebrush will catch your eye instantly.
Bring your towel and bathers, you'll find Goolawah Beach a great spot for swimming, surfing and snorkeling.
Winter is the time for whale watching. Plan a winter trip if you prefer a quieter camping experience. Campgrounds are less crowded at this time of year.
- Drinking water is not available at this campground.
- Unpotable bore water is available at this campground
- Firewood can be purchased from the campground manager
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
- Assistance may be required to access some parts of this area, including the beach, due to uneven surfaces.
- There are accessible toilets at this campground.
Camp fires and solid fuel burners
Fire rings are not provided. Campers are encouraged to bring their own portable braziers and fuel stoves.
A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters.
- Dogs may be brought into Goolawah Regional Park, including Delicate campground, as long as park restrictions surrounding dogs are observed. Dogs are not permitted in the adjacent Goolawah National Park.
- For their safety, dogs should be immunised and protected from ticks.
- Dogs must be supervised and under control at all times.
- Please do not bring un-desexed dogs in season – they may attract dingoes.
Firewood is not provided for wood barbecues and may not be collected from the park, so please bring your own supply.
Generators are not permitted in this campground.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
Crescent Head (7 km)
Crescent Head on the NSW North Coast is surrounded by some of the stunning natural environments in the State. As well as long stretches of coastline with fabulous beaches, there is a string on coastal national parks to explore. Go surfing, fishing, boating and bushwalking, enjoy bird watching or whale watching, spot dolphins, turtles and even koalas in the wild.
Kempsey (23 km)
Kempsey is a historic river town close to national parks and majestic beaches. Kempsey is a convenient place for an overnight stop for anyone driving between Sydney and the North Coast.
Port Macquarie (18 km)
Vibrant Port Macquarie is surrounded by beautiful waterways - the Hastings River, canals, creeks, bays and the Pacific Ocean. The city also has a five-star collection of golden-sand beaches stretching from Port Macquarie Beach to Town Beach and north along the 16-km swathe of North Beach.