North Head walking track
Brunswick Heads Nature Reserve
A short easy walking route on North Head walking track through coastal rainforest to Brunswick River with scenic views and chances for picnicking, whale watching and birdwatching.
- Brunswick Heads Nature Reserve
- 1km one-way
- Time suggested
- Please note
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out and remember to take a hat
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch or whale watch
- It can be a busy place on the weekend, so parking may be limited.
- Drinking water is not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
- A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters. Spear fishing is not permitted.
It’s a short, easy stroll on North Head walking track from the carpark down through a lovely section of endangered littoral rainforest to the mouth of Brunswick River. Tear yourself away from scenic ocean views and head down this trail for a change of scenery. You may spot a goanna along the way, or a harmless carpet python.
For birdwatchers, there are plenty of feathered friends to feast your eyes upon as you walk, such as rainbow bee-eaters. As the name suggests, these birds are brilliantly marked and, although they will eat all sorts of insects, particularly relish a good bee and are immune to the sting. Keep an eye out for this multi-coloured beauty during the warmer months and have your binoculars handy.
Two other short tracks also lead from North Head carpark to the ocean beach and to mangrove-lined Marshalls Creek.
Sign up to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with information, new products, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Saving our Species is a innovative conservation program in NSW. It aims to halt and reverse the growing numbers of Australian animals and plants facing extinction. This program aims to secure as many threatened species that can be secured in the wild as possible, for the next 100 years.
- in Brunswick Heads Nature Reserve in the North Coast region
Brunswick Heads Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Byron Bay
(02) 6620 9300
Contact hours: 8.30am-4.30pm Monday to Friday
- Tallow Beach Road, Byron Bay NSW
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (02) 6620 9333
- Byron Bay