Sydney Harbour National Park
For an island event on your doorstep, look no further than Shark Island in Sydney Harbour National Park. With lush grassy areas, scenic harbour views and a fascinating history, it's the perfect venue for hosting a Christmas party, music festival or concert.
- Venue is suitable for
- Arts and cultural events, concerts and festivals, corporate and business events, private party or function, wedding ceremonies and wedding reception
- Maximum people: 800
- Picnic tables, drinking water, toilets, electric power
$760 for a non-exclusive 3 hour booking, plus a $7 landing fee per person. For exclusive hire fees contact the NPWS Events Team.
- Available for hire 7 days a week, except 22nd Dec to 2nd Jan and 26th Jan.
To make a booking or for more information, please email the NPWS Events Team or phone (02) 9585 6570.
- Other Information
- This venue is also suitable for commercial and public events such as live performances, festivals and product launches.
Situated in Sydney Harbour, just 1km from Rose Bay, 1.5ha Shark Island is one of Sydney’s most idyllic outdoor venues. It boasts amazing 360° views of Sydney Harbour, spacious grassy areas, picnic shelters and a gazebo, making it the perfect venue hire option for music festivals, corporate office Christmas parties or a wedding.
While enjoying the day’s celebrations, you and your guests can explore the island’s foreshore and grottos, hand-built in the early 1900s.
Take a virtual tour of Shark Island on Google Street View.
For the latest updates on fires, closures and other alerts in this area, see https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/venues/shark-island/local-alerts
- in Sydney Harbour National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Sydney Harbour National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
Bradleys Head carpark: $8 per vehicle per day. North Head carpark: $5 per vehicle per day. There are pay and display machines that accept cards and coins - no change given. Chowder Bay Road parking: Monday-Friday: $3 per hour, to a maximum of $16 per day. Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays: $4 per hour, to a maximum of $20 per day. If you hold an NPWS All Parks or Multi Parks Pass, you can park free for up to four hours per day - additional time can be purchased. Car parks operated by Sydney Harbour Federation Trust or Mosman Council are not covered by your pass. Please check signs carefully.
Landing fees or tour fees apply to visit Sydney Harbour islands. All public visitors to Shark, Clark or Rodd Island, need to pay a $7 per person landing fee. To arrange, please contact 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS). Annual NSW Parks Passes do not cover landing fees.Buy annual pass.
All the practical information you need to know about Shark Island.
Getting there and parking
Access to the island must be arranged through a NPWS-licensed transport operator. Private vessels may be used for pick-up and drop-off with permission only. Mooring at the wharf is not permitted.
Parking is not available at Shark Island – access is via watercraft only.
Captain Cook Cruises operate a public ferry service to the island daily and a timetable is available to help you plan your trip. Please note that this ferry will not operate if the island is booked exclusively.
All rubbish generated as part of the event is to be removed from the park and not deposited in bins.
There are 2 male and 5 female toilets on the island.
- Flush toilets
Shark Island has:
- An 8.5m square gazebo
- 5 picnic shelters
- Bench seating
There is 1 tap on the island.
There are 6 x 240 volt 10 amps and 1 x 3-phase 20 amp (5 pin).
Maps and downloads
Fees and passes
If you're not booking an event or venue, all visitors need to pay a $7 per person landing fee by calling 13000 PARKS (13000 72757) or you can book and pay online.
Annual NSW parks passes do not cover landing or tour fees.
Disability access level - hard
Shark Island is only accessible by boat. Wheelchair access is difficult.
Food and drink
- You may bring your own food as well as portable gas barbeques fitted with drip trays for cooking
- Commercial catering is limited to plates or platters of cold food such as sandwiches, antipasto, canapés, salads and cakes.
- You may bring 1 bottle of wine or champagne for every 4 guests, and 1 case (24 cans or bottles) of beer or premixed drinks (375ml maximum) for every 20 guests.
Flower arrangements containing no seed material. A florist can arrange this for you on request.
Structures, staging, furniture, amusements and decorations
- Weighted free-standing decorative items such as bridal arches, red carpet and columns.
- 15 chairs with rail-style legs
- 3 tables no larger than 3m square
Commercial filming and photography
- 1 photographer, 1 photographer's assistant, 1 videographer and 1 videographer's assistant.
- Commercial photography and video requires a small scale photography license
Power, lighting and amplified sounds
- 1 single speaker portable PA system or music player with an amplifier no greater than 50 watts
- Volume must be kept at a level that does not interfere with neighbours or the public
- Balloons, animals and throwing rice or petals is not permitted.
- Please do not put up signage or cordon off structures or areas on Shark Island.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.