Sydney Harbour National Park
Rodd Island in Iron Cove is a peaceful paradise that's the perfect location for a wedding ceremony, corporate picnic or incentive day. Relax in one of the lovely summer houses and enjoy spectacular views of Sydney Harbour Bridge.
- Venue is suitable for
- Arts and cultural events, corporate and business events, private party or function, wedding ceremonies and wedding reception
- Maximum people: 250
- Picnic tables, drinking water, toilets, electric power
$760 for a non-exclusive 3 hour booking, plus a $7 landing fee per person. For exclusive hire fees contact the NPWS Events Team.
- Available for hire 7 days a week
To make a booking or for more information, please email the NPWS Events Team or phone (02) 9585 6570.
- Other Information
This venue is also suitable for commercial and public events such as live performances, festivals and product launches.
Rodd Island, located in the sheltered waters of Iron Cove, just off Birkenhead Point, has a colourful history and boasts some of the best views west of Sydney. This perfect venue hire option is the farthest west of the harbour islands in Sydney Harbour National Park.
While celebrating your special day, you and your guests can walk through the expansive gardens, enjoy a private waterside location and explore the historic buildings, including a dance hall and 2 summer houses. In 1879, Rodd Island became the first public recreation reserve in Sydney Harbour. It was also used as a biological laboratory and US army training ground during the Second World War.
A unique venue hire option offering island charm, Rodd Island is among Sydney’s best venues and is available for hire for weddings or corporate functions. The 1920s dance hall is available with exclusive hire of the island.
For the latest updates on fires, closures and other alerts in this area, see https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/venues/rodd-island/local-alerts
- in Sydney Harbour National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Sydney Harbour National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
Bradleys Head: $8 per vehicle per day. North Head: $5 per vehicle per day. Tap and pay card or phone payments accepted at pay machines. Coin payment available at Fairfax carpark machines only. Chowder Bay: Monday-Friday: $3 per hour, to a maximum of $16 per day. Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays: $4 per hour, to a maximum of $20 per day. If you hold an NPWS All Parks or Multi Parks Pass, you can park free for up to four hours per day - additional time can be purchased. Car parks operated by Sydney Harbour Federation Trust or Mosman Council are not covered by your pass. Please check signs carefully. Park’nPay: You can also pay for your visit to any area via the Park’nPay app.
Landing fees or tour fees apply to visit Sydney Harbour islands. All public visitors to Shark, Clark or Rodd Island, need to pay a $7 per person landing fee. To arrange, please contact 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS). Annual NSW Parks Passes do not cover landing fees.Buy annual pass.
All the practical information you need to know about Rodd Island.
Getting there and parking
Access to the island must be arranged through a NPWS-licensed transport operator. Private vessels may be used for pick-up and drop-off with permission only. Mooring at the wharf is not permitted.
Parking is not available at Rodd Island – access is via watercraft only.
Rodd Island has a 17m by 5.6m hall with:
- Polished floorboards
- A small (2.2m x 2.5m) stage
- Fixed bench seating along 3 walls
All rubbish generated as part of the event is to be removed from the park and not deposited in bins.
There is 1 male and 3 female toilets.
- Flush toilets
Rodd Island has:
- 1 gazebo (capacity 8 people)
- 2 summer houses (capacity 22 people per house)
- 2 picnic tables
There are 2 taps and bubblers on the island.
There are 4 x 240 volt 10 amps, 1 x 240 volt 15 amp and 1 x 3-phase 20 amp (5 pin).
Maps and downloads
Fees and passes
If you're not booking an event or venue, all visitors need to pay a $7 per person landing fee by calling 13000 PARKS (13000 72757) or you can book and pay online.
Annual NSW parks passes do not cover landing or tour fees.
Disability access level - hard
Rodd Island is only accessible by boat and wheelchair access is difficult.
Food and drink
- You may bring your own food as well as portable gas barbeques fitted with drip trays for cooking
- Commercial catering is limited to plates or platters of cold food such as sandwiches, antipasto, canapés, salads and cakes.
- You may bring 1 bottle of wine or champagne for every 4 guests, and 1 case (24 cans or bottles) of beer or premixed drinks (375ml maximum) for every 20 guests.
Flower arrangements containing no seed material. A florist can arrange this for you on request.
Structures, staging, furniture, amusements and decorations
- Weighted free-standing decorative items such as bridal arches, red carpet and columns.
- 15 chairs with rail-style legs
- 3 tables no larger than 3m square
Commercial filming and photography
- 1 photographer, 1 photographer's assistant, 1 videographer and 1 videographer's assistant.
- Commercial photography and video requires a small scale photography license
Power, lighting and amplified sounds
- 1 single speaker portable PA system or music player with an amplifier no greater than 50 watts
- Volume must be kept at a level that does not interfere with neighbours or the public
- Balloons, animals and throwing rice or petals is not permitted.
- Please do not put up signage or cordon off structures or areas on Rodd Island.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.