Mulgowan (Yappa) Aboriginal Art Site walking track
Gundabooka National Park
Mulgowan (Yappa) Aboriginal Art Site walking track offers a unique Outback experience with Aboriginal rock art and birdwatching in Gundabooka National Park, near Bourke.
- Gundabooka National Park
- 1.4km return
- Time suggested
- 45min - 1hr 15min
- Grade 5
- What to
- Hat, drinking water, sunscreen
- Please note
- This park or attraction is in a remote location and weather can be unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared, bring appropriate clothing and equipment and advise a family member or friend of your travel plans.
For an outback adventure that’s bound to inspire, head for Mulgowan (Yappa) Aboriginal Art site walking track in Gundabooka National Park, near Bourke. Be amazed by the fascinating Aboriginal rock art of the Ngemba and Paakandji people, set amongst unspoilt bushland. It’s an unforgettable ‘off the beaten track’ experience for all ages.
Following this challenging yet rewarding walking track along encompassing boulders, you might see hooded robins and pink cockatoos. Arriving at the enormous rock overhang, you’ll discover unique Aboriginal rock paintings that not only depict animal motifs, but dancers, hand stencils and hunting tools. The surrounding Gunderbooka Range and Mulareenya Creek is a significant area where ceremonies were held and the echoes of a vibrant Aboriginal culture can still be felt.
Take your time to soak up the tranquil setting before retracing your steps. If you’re keen to explore, try Bennetts Gorge picnic area and the nearby walk or pitch your tent beneath the vast desert sky at Dry Tank campground or Yanda campground.
Take a virtual tour of Mulgowan (Yappa) Aboriginal Art Site walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Bourke office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6830 0200
- 51-53 Oxley Street, Bourke NSW 2840
- in Gundabooka National Park in the Outback NSW region
Gundabooka National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.