Applies from Wed 10 May 2023, 9.01pm to Mon 2 Oct 2023, 9.34am. Last reviewed: Tue 8 Aug 2023, 11.22am.
Safety alerts: High altitude walks - snow covered
The following high altitude walks are snow covered for the rest of the winter season:
- Main Range walk
- Mt Kosciuszko Summit walk
- Kosciuszko walk
- Mount Stilwell walk
- Guthega to Charlotte Pass walk
- Illawong walk
- Snow Gums boardwalk
- Porcupine walk
- Charlotte Pass to Perisher walk
- Rennix walk
- Schlink Hut walking track
- Threbo River track
- Rainbow Lake walk
- Dead Horse Gap walk
- Cascade Hut trail
Other walks may have shorter sections of snow and ice cover. Snow covered walks can be more difficult to follow, slippery, icy and steep. There is also a risk of long falls and slides as you cross slopes. You should be prepared for winter conditions with:
- Snowshoes (and solid/waterproof walking boots), skis or splitboard
- Navigation skills and a map, compass and GPS
- Plans for all walks to take longer than normal
- Winter clothing.
If you plan to visit these areas in winter, follow alpine safety advice.
For more information, contact the local NPWS office on 02 64505555.