America Bay walking track
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
America Bay walking track offers a moderately difficult walk and a great day trip from Sydney with waterfalls, picnicking and Aboriginal engravings in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
- 1.8km return
- Time suggested
- 1 - 2hrs
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch.
A great walk through iconic Australian bushland in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, America Bay walking track is a lovely spot for a remote picnic and you won’t believe you’re only an hour from Sydney city. The track follows a sandstone ridgeline from West Head Road down to America Bay, near the mouth of the Hawkesbury River.
Not far from the beginning of this moderate track, a short detour reveals some fascinating Aboriginal rock engravings on a sandstone shelf. Back on the main track, you’ll descend gradually though woodlands of scribbly gum and bloodwood to a tinkling creek. Follow the stream to a rock platform overlooking scenic America Bay with views across Cowan Water. Here, a small picturesque waterfall cascades over the escarpment. Roll out the picnic blanket in your own private bushland setting.
Take a virtual tour of America Bay walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Forestville Office
- Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm.
- 02 9451 3479
- 82 Ferguson Street, Forestville NSW 2087
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day. You can also pay for your visit via the Park’nPay app.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).
A $3 per adult, $2 per child landing fee may apply for day visitors to The Basin campground. Please pay at the campground wharf. Landing fees are included in your camping fees.
Under the Plan of Management for this park, prior written approval is required for organised groups of 20 or more people planning to visit this park. Contact the park office before your visit.Buy annual pass
Things to do (85)
- Aboriginal culture (16)
- Beach (3)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (11)
- Cafes and kiosks (3)
- Canoeing/paddling (7)
- Cultural heritage (4)
- Cycling (8)
- Environmental appreciation/study (2)
- Fishing (7)
- Geotourism (1)
- Historic heritage (10)
- Horse riding (2)
- Other experiences (3)
- Photography (2)
- Picnics and barbecues (8)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (7)
- Sightseeing (31)
- Snorkelling and scuba (1)
- Swimming (4)
- Visitor centres (1)
- Walking (50)
- Waterfalls (2)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (9)