America Bay walking track
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
America Bay walking track offers a moderately difficult walk and a great day trip from Sydney with waterfalls, picnicking and Aboriginal engravings in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
- 1.8km return
- Time suggested
- 1 - 2hrs
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch.
A great walk through iconic Australian bushland in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, America Bay walking track is a lovely spot for a remote picnic and you won’t believe you’re only an hour from Sydney city. The track follows a sandstone ridgeline from West Head Road down to America Bay, near the mouth of the Hawkesbury River.
Not far from the beginning of this moderate track, a short detour reveals some fascinating Aboriginal rock engravings on a sandstone shelf. Back on the main track, you’ll descend gradually though woodlands of scribbly gum and bloodwood to a tinkering creek. Follow the stream to a rock platform overlooking scenic America Bay with views across Cowan Water. Here, a small picturesque waterfall cascades over the escarpment. Roll out the picnic blanket in your own private bushland setting.
Take a virtual tour of America Bay walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Forestville Office
- Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm.
- 02 9451 3479
- Garigal National Park, End of Ferguson Street, Forestville NSW 2087
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).Buy a pass