Neptune's necklace and soldier crabs
Do you like muddy places where interesting creatures thrive? If you do, don't miss this adventure at the Merimbula Lake boardwalk these school holidays.
- No wheelchair access
- Easy. Suitable for children aged 5 to 15 years.
Minimum $250 per group (8 participants minimum). Accompanying adults free.
- Meeting point
- Carpark at beginning of boardwalk, Merimbula Bridge.
- For group bookings, email or phone 02 6495 5000 or 0448 765 381.
- Group bookings available on request, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays). Earliest start 10am, latest finish 3pm.
Want to spend a little time digging in the mud these school holidays? Head over to Merimbula, near Bournda National Park, for fun in the wetlands. With a sieve and bucket in hand, we'll take a closer look at the small creatures that call this environment home.
Join your NPWS guide at low tide and venture along the Merimbula Boardwalk and down onto the sand. Here we'll explore the complex mangrove ecosystem that’s teeming with life. Discover the variety of creatures that live in the estuaries and different tidal zones. You'll be mad about mangroves after you've discovered their hidden treasures.
Remember to wear enclosed shoes that are okay to get muddy.
For the latest updates on fires, closures and other alerts in this area, see https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/things-to-do/guided-tours/neptunes-necklace-and-soldier-crabs/local-alerts
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
All the practical information you need to know about Neptune's necklace and soldier crabs.
Getting there and parking
From Merimbula Visitor Information Centre:
- Drive south along Market street toward Pambula for 550 metres.
- Turn right into the car park just before Merimbula Bridge.
Free time-limited parking available at Merimbula boardwalk entrance.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - no wheelchair access