Great North walk stage 2: Valley exploration
Lane Cove National Park
COVID-safe tours and events
In line with the latest NSW Government COVID-19 advice, masks are encouraged for indoor settings where you cannot maintain a safe distance from others.
Take on part of the famous Great North walk. You'll be amazed by the landscape and glimpses of native wildlife on this stretch in Sydney's north.
Sunday 26 March and Wednesday 29 March 2023, 7.45am to 4pm. Meet at 7.30am.
- Lane Cove National Park in Sydney and surrounds
- No wheelchair access
- Medium. Suitable for adults only (15 years and over). Some bushwalking experience is recommended.
Adult (15 years and over) $25 per person. Concession (Student, Australian pension, Veterans Affairs and Seniors card holders) $20 per person.
- Meeting point
- Pacific Highway side of Roseville Station.
- What to
- Drinking water, lunch, snacks, sturdy shoes, hat, raincoat, sunscreen, insect repellent
- Bookings required. Phone 1300 072 757 for more information or book online.
Be a part of this 8hr, 17km guided walk. We'll follow the upper Lane Cove River to Thornleigh Station through a scenic valley.
Here are some highlights:
- We'll pass the dividing weir built near Fullers Bridge during the Great Depression. The weir was built to provide a more appealing picnic site. It serves as a timely reminder of how we can fundamentally alter the natural environment.
- We'll continue along a path with towering trees and stunning sandstone formations dominating the scenery.
- You'll see the remains of many large trees previously felled for timber.
- As we approach Thornleigh, the path heads sharply upwards through Conscript Pass. Here you'll see iconic graffiti dating back to the depression of the 1930s.
Bring at least 2 litres of drinking water, lunch and snacks. It's a good idea to wear enclosed shoes and bring a hat, rain gear, sunscreen, insect protection, walking poles if needed, and emergency contact information. We'll be using public transport for one section, so don't forget your Opal card.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles.
- NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
- in Lane Cove National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Lane Cove National Park is open 9am to 7pm during daylight savings (until 6pm at other times). The park may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. Day passes are available from on-park pay machines that accept coins and credit cards, and you can also pay for your visit via the Park’nPay app.
Bus: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Prior payment may be required, please phone the Lane Cove National Park Office for more information.
Under the National Parks and Wildlife Regulation 2009, prior written approval is required for organised groups of 30 or more people planning to visit the park. Contact the park office prior to your visit.Buy annual pass