Governor Phillip heritage walk
Garigal National Park
COVID-safe tours and events
In line with the latest NSW Government COVID-19 advice, masks are encouraged for indoor settings where you cannot maintain a safe distance from others.
See Garigal National Park through the eyes of Governor Phillip on this 6km, 4-hour guided walk. Learn about his 1788 exploration of Middle Harbour and what his party thought of the Australian bush.
Sunday 21 May 2023, 10am to 2pm.
- Garigal National Park in Sydney and surrounds
- No wheelchair access
- Medium. Suitable for adults and children, 12 years and over. We’ll be walking 6km along rough bush tracks that are steep in places, with approx. 120m ascent and descent.
Adult $15 per person. Concession/child (12 to 17 years) $10 per person. Family (2 adults, 2 children) $40.
- Meeting point
- Meet at the head of Pipeline track, next to 79 Hunter Avenue, St Ives.
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, snacks, sturdy shoes, sunscreen, clothes for all weather conditions
- Bookings required. Phone 1300 072 757 for more information or book online.
Follow in the footsteps of Governor Phillip on his April 1788 exploration of Middle Harbour in search of land suitable for agriculture to feed the First Fleet colony. From St Ives, we'll walk through bushland in Garigal National Park as we descend into the valley. There, we'll see the stepping stones over Middle Harbour Creek near where Governor Phillip camped. Hear about the trials of Governor Phillip's party and their navigation prowess. Learn what they thought of the strange sounds of the Australian bush and the results of their exploration.
This walk follows part of the original route, and has some beautiful views and wildflowers on show.
Remember to bring your lunch, snacks and at least 1 litre of water.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
- in Garigal National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Garigal National Park is open 6am to 6.30pm (8pm during daylight savings) but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day applies only at Davidson Park only. Day passes are available from on-park pay machines that accept coins and credit cards, and you can also pay for your visit via the Park’nPay app.
Bus: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day).
Daily entry fee exemption for teachers and educational supervisors (1 adult per 10 children) applies only for organised and pre-arranged group bookings.Buy annual pass