Discovering Gondwana short tour
Dorrigo National Park
COVID-safe tours and events
In line with the latest NSW Government COVID-19 advice, masks are encouraged for indoor settings where you cannot maintain a safe distance from others.
Experience the rainforest like never before, on a 2km ranger-guided walk through World Heritage-listed Dorrigo National Park. It's only 1hr from Coffs Harbour, but you'll feel worlds away.
Daily from Tuesday 11 April Saturday 22 April 2023.
Daily from Monday 3 July to Saturday 15 July 2023.
Daily from Monday 25 September to Saturday 30 September 2023.
Daily from Tuesday 3 October to Saturday 7 October 2023.
Tours do not run on Wednesdays or Sundays.
Tour times: 10.30am to 11am, 11.30am to 12pm, 12.30 to 1pm, 2pm to 2.30pm
- Medium. Suitable for adults and children 5 years and over. There is a steep ramp descent to the rainforest floor.
Adult $10 per person. Child (5 to 16 years) $5 per person. Family $25 for 2 adults and 2 children. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Accompanying adults need to book and pay.
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Meeting point
- Adjacent to the mosaic at entrance to Dorrigo Rainforest Centre
- What to
- Sturdy shoes, drinking water, raincoat, hat
- Bookings required. Phone 1300 072 757 for more information or book online. It's best to book ahead to secure your ticket, but you can book at the Rainforest Centre Information desk on the day.
- Please note
This tour runs in all weather. The rainforest is the place to be in the rain, so come prepared.
Walk alongside an NPWS ranger, as we traverse this Heritage-listed Gondwana Rainforest. We'll delve into this incredible world of ancient living fossils in Dorrigo National Park. Hear stories of how unique plants and animals of this World Heritage rainforest have survived and thrived. It's been millions of years in the making and is a place where time itself is captured.
Your tour will commence at the entrance of Dorrigo Rainforest Centre where a wall mosaic tells the story of how this vast continent of Gondwana broke up over millions of years. You’ll learn about the raft of plants and animals that followed, whose ancestors survive today in Dorrigo National Park.
From here your guide will lead you from the edge of the escarpment, down a steep ramp to the rainforest floor. The path winds through low canopy before coming to the Balaminda platform. Here, you’ll be invited to take time to stop, breathe and listen. This hotspot of biodiversity gives us a glimpse into the past and a portal to the future.
Come and experience this stunning subtropical rainforest. This short tour finishes at the Gondwana Junction. You’ll have the option to continue self-guided to the cascading Crystal Shower and Tristania Falls, the nearby Walk with the Birds boardwalk or return to the rainforest centre.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
- in Dorrigo National Park in the North Coast region
Dorrigo National Park is open daily (except Christmas Day) 9am to 4.30pm but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (26)
- 4WD touring (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (11)
- Cafes and kiosks (1)
- Cycling (2)
- Environmental appreciation/study (1)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (4)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (3)
- Sightseeing (15)
- Surfing (1)
- Swimming (2)
- Visitor centres (1)
- Walking (15)
- Waterfalls (12)