After Dark in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
COVID-safe tours and events
In line with the latest NSW Government COVID-19 advice, masks are encouraged for indoor settings where you cannot maintain a safe distance from others.
Join Dark Sky Traveller to experience the magic of day turning into night at The Basin in Kur-ring-gai Chase National Park. Learn about the animals that are active during twilight before embarking on some naked-eye stargazing.
- Contact Dark Sky Traveller for tour dates.
- The Basin picnic area, Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
- Contact Dark Sky Traveller for tour pricing.
- Bookings required. Book online or email or call Dark Sky Traveller on 02 9975 2581.
- Please note
- This tour goes ahead in cloudy weather but will be postpones if it is raining
- Don't forget to bring your own chair and binoculars if you have them
- Please wear warm clothing as the evenings can get cool
Make the most of your night on this family-friendly evening activity at The Basin in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park on Sydney's Northern Beaches.
This secluded bay on Pittwater is the perfect spot to experience day turning into night. Discover the amazing aspects of the twilight period between the brightness of day and the illumination of night.
Your experienced Dark Sky Traveller guide will shed light on which animals are triggered by the sun setting. If you keep your eyes peeled you might spot the bats, birds and frogs that become active during this period.
Learn about the rich night sky heritage and all the reasons that make Australia’s inky dark nights an asset to the environment. Once night takes over, you’ll get to experience the glittering sky. Your guide will lead you in some naked-eye stargazing. From this location you should be able to see the Emu in the Sky and a patch of the magnificent Milky Way.
Dark Sky Traveller is a licensed commercial tour operator with a Parks Eco Pass.
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day. You can also pay for your visit via the Park’nPay app.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).
A $3 per adult, $2 per child landing fee may apply for day visitors to The Basin campground. Please pay at the campground wharf. Landing fees are included in your camping fees.
Under the Plan of Management for this park, prior written approval is required for organised groups of 20 or more people planning to visit this park. Contact the park office before your visit.Buy annual pass