School excursionSpecial Offer
Signal on the shore
Stage 3 (Years 5-6), HSIE, Cape Byron State Conservation Area
Signal on the shore is a Stage 3 (Years 5-6) school excursion in Cape Byron State Conservation Area focusing on HSIE. Students will learn all about lighthouses and cover the importance of communication and changing technologies.
Read more about Signal on the shore
We'll tour the famous and iconic Cape Byron Lighthouse (all the way to the lantern room) and its museum. Students will get the opportunity to participate in a group nautical signal flags activity, hear historic tales and stories of shipwrecks, and carry out some of the daily duties of a lighthouse keeper.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 3 (Years 5-6)|
|Key learning area||HSIE|
HT3-1. Describes and explains the significance of people, groups, places and events to the development of Australia
HT3-2. Describes and explains different experiences of people living in Australia over time
- Guided. Available on request.
- Cape Byron State Conservation Area
- 2hrs 30min
$9.90 per person (minimum $198).
- No wheelchair access
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Byron Bay
- 02 6620 9300
- 02 6620 9333
- Tallow Beach Road, Byron Bay NSW
- in Cape Byron State Conservation Area in the North Coast region
- Cape Byron State Conservation Area is open all hours, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Cape Byron Lighthouse precinct is open 8am to sunset.
- The Maritime Museum in the former Lighthouse Keeper’s office at the base of the lighthouse is open 10am to 4pm daily.
- Opening before 8am for events or disabled access can be arranged by prior notice – contact NPWS Byron Bay office during business hours 02 6639 8300.
Park entry fees:
Cape Byron Lighthouse precinct and Information Centre: $8 per vehicle per hour/$4 per hour motorcycles. Maximum 1 hour per vehicle per calendar day, including all NPWS annual passholders.
Captain Cook lookout, Cosy Corner, and The Pass: $4 per vehicle/motorcycle per hour. Coin-operated and credit card payment available.
Coach entry: $26 per coach up to 30 seats; $50 per coach 31 to 43 seats; $83 per coach 44 seats and over.Buy annual pass