School excursionSpecial Offer
A whale of a time
Stage 2 (Years 3-4), Science, Cape Byron State Conservation Area
This school excursion in Cape Byron State Conservation Area is for Stage 2 (Years 3-4) students, focusing on HSIE. Take a deeper look at the ecology of whales, and gain an understanding of a whale's diet, migration habits, communication, and the significance of the ocean ecosystem around the Cape Byron area.
Read more about A whale of a time
Activities include handling whale artifacts, making the scale size model of a humpback whale, and whale watching with an experienced guide.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 2 (Years 3-4)|
|Key learning area||Science|
- Guided. Available on request.
- Cape Byron State Conservation Area
$9.90 per person (minimum $198).
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Byron Bay
- 02 6620 9300
- 02 6620 9333
- Tallow Beach Road, Byron Bay NSW
- in Cape Byron State Conservation Area in the North Coast region
- Cape Byron State Conservation Area is open all hours, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Cape Byron Lighthouse precinct is open 8am to sunset.
- The Maritime Museum in the former Lighthouse Keeper’s office at the base of the lighthouse is open 10am to 4pm daily.
- Opening before 8am for events or disabled access can be arranged by prior notice – contact NPWS Byron Bay office during business hours 02 6639 8300.
Park entry fees:
Cape Byron Lighthouse precinct and Information Centre: $8 per vehicle per hour/$4 per hour motorcycles. Maximum 1 hour per vehicle per calendar day, including all NPWS annual passholders.
Captain Cook lookout, Cosy Corner, and The Pass: $4 per vehicle/motorcycle per hour. Coin-operated and credit card payment available.
Coach entry: $26 per coach up to 30 seats; $50 per coach 31 to 43 seats; $83 per coach 44 seats and over.Buy annual pass