Stage 2 (Years 3-4), HSIE, Arakoon National Park
Explore the old granite gaol at Trial Bay and help to unlock mysteries of the past on the History Mysteries school excursion. This is a Stage 2 (Years 3-4) excursion to Arakoon National Park, focusing on HSIE.
Read more about History mysteries
Trial Bay Gaol is situated on a headland in Arakoon National Park. Discover how the Gaol has been used over time and experience what life was like for the German prisoners who were interned here during World War. Today, this picturesque historic ruin stands as a testament to those who lived and died here, with a museum and memorial for visitors to get a better idea of life in those days. You’ll find out about the lives of prisoners who once called Trial Bay Gaol home and what landed them there in the first place.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 2 (Years 3-4)|
HT2-2. Describes and explains how significant individuals, groups and events contributed to changes in the local community over time
HT2-4. Describes and explains effects of British colonisation in Australia
HT2-5. Applies skills of historical inquiry and communication
GE2-3. Examines differing perceptions about the management of places and environments
- Guided. Available on request. Weekdays during school term.
- Trial Bay Gaol, Arakoon National Park
- Easy. Walking on tracks and paths around the gaol site.
$240 per group, which includes Gaol admission and your own ranger guide. Price includes GST. Max 30 students per group. For groups over 30 conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- The main gates of Trial Bay Gaol, Arakoon National Park.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
For the latest updates on fires, closures and other alerts in this area, see https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/education/stage-2-hsie-history-mysteries-arakoon-national-park/local-alerts
- School excursion inquiries - Port Macquarie
- 02 6588 5519
- NPWS Manning - Hastings Area Office, 22 Blackbutt Rd Port Macquarie NSW 2444
- in Arakoon National Park in the North Coast region
Arakoon National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Info for teachers
All the practical information you need to know about History mysteries.
- Arrive and take a recess break
- Introduction to the site, the Gaol precinct and local wildlife.
- Teacher led bushwalk to Monument Hill
- Bring a picnic lunch to enjoy after the activities
- Guided activities to explore the Gaol, follow the clues and unravel the mysteries.
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
Trial Bay Gaol is in the Trial Bay Gaol precinct of Arakoon National Park.
From South West Rocks:
- Follow Phillip Drive
- Turn left onto Cardwell Street
- Continue along Cardwell Street until you reach Trial Bay Goal
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Designated car and bus parking is available at Trial Bay Gaol.
What to bring
Please wear fully enclosed shoes and bring a hat, sunscreen, wet weather gear, and lunch which should be low waste with a refillable water bottle. Students should bring gear in a backpack or similar (not plastic bags). Please note: You're welcome to stay for a picnic lunch and spend some time in this beautiful location.
Maps and downloads
Our rangers and guides have the technical skill and experience to assess the risks and the benefits of a variety of activities delivered as part of our learning programs.
We believe in including opportunities that allow students to learn and experience for themselves through exploration in the natural environment.
Please make your own risk assessment based on the information provided. Detailed potential risks and controls are provided for the site to assist teachers in risk management planning. Teachers and carers should be aware of, and consider the needs, abilities and medical conditions of students when visiting this site. The supervision of students remains the responsibility of the teacher. The school must ensure an adequate number of adult supervisors are present.
Disability access level - hard
Not suitable for most wheelchairs. If you have someone with special needs, please let us know in advance so that we can plan accordingly.