School excursionSpecial Offer
Stage 3 (Years 5-6), HSIE, Lake Innes Nature Reserve
Heritage Detectives is a school excursion within Lake Innes Nature Reserve for Stage 3 (Years 5-6) primary school students and focuses on HSIE. Explore the ruins of convict built Lake Innes House and search for clues that reveal details from the past.
Read more about Heritage detectives
Discover the Innes Ruins, a place where you can go on a journey through time to days of early settlement in north coast NSW. Discover why Port Macquarie was settled in 1821 and the impact on the local Aboriginal people. Learn about the first crops planted here, how farming changed, the effects of the gold rushes and the transport difficulties faced by the settlers. Built by Major Archibald Clunes Innes, it holds a rich history which tells stories of the culture of the 1800s, and convict labour.
On this excursion you'll unlock the mysteries of the area and find out who the convicts were, what crimes they committed, where they came from as well as how they managed to survive. Find out what happened to Innes House and why it became a ruin in such a charming, lakeside setting.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 3 (Years 5-6)|
|Key learning area||HSIE|
HT3-2. Describes and explains different experiences of people living in Australia over time
HT3-5. Applies a variety of skills of historical inquiry and communication
Weekdays during school term.
- Guided. Available on request.
- Innes Ruins, Lake Innes Nature Reserve
- Easy. Walking along rough pathway and around Innes Ruins.
$225 per group (includes GST). Maximum 25 students per group. For groups over 25 conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- South end of Ruins Way, off John Oxley Drive, Port Macquarie.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Port Macquarie
- 02 6588 5519
- NPWS Manning - Hastings Area Office, 22 Blackbutt Rd Port Macquarie NSW 2444
- in Lake Innes Nature Reserve in the North Coast region
Lake Innes Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Port Macquarie office
02 6588 5555 for general enquiries only, no bookings.
Contact hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 22 Blackbutt Road, Port Macquarie NSW 2444
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Port Macquarie office