Tommys Rock lookout and walking track
Mann River Nature Reserve
Tommys Rock walking track offers scenic mountain views across the Great Dividing Ranges in Mann River Nature Reserve. You can choose to walk or 4WD along the trail to the summit.
- Mann River Nature Reserve
- 8km return
- Time suggested
- 3hrs 30min - 4hrs 30min
- Grade 5
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- If driving the trail, 4WD is essential due to steep rollovers and rugged terrain. Not suitable for trailers
- The weather in the area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- There is limited mobile reception in this park
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching
For unending scenic wilderness views over The Great Dividing Range, head for Tommys Rock lookout and walking track, in beautiful Mann River Nature Reserve, near Glen Innes. The imposing rocky knob is a short drive from Mann River campground and picnic area. Fit bushwalkers will love the challenge of the steep walking track to the summit. Whichever way you get there, the crisp mountain air and panoramic views will take your breath away.
Named after Tommy McPherson, a remarkable Aboriginal man who, legend suggests, was a skilled stockman, bushranger, escaped fugitive and gold digger. If you’re walking the steep track, pause to catch your breath and keep your eyes peeled for signs of Tommy’s secret gold mine.
Brush-tailed rock wallabies, with their distinct cheek stripe, live around the rocks near the lookout. You might also hear the raucous glossy black cockatoos feasting on the nearby she-oaks.
Sign up to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with information, new products, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Saving our Species is a innovative conservation program in NSW. It aims to halt and reverse the growing numbers of Australian animals and plants facing extinction. This program aims to secure as many threatened species that can be secured in the wild as possible, for the next 100 years.
- in Mann River Nature Reserve in the Country NSW region
Mann River Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Glen Innes area office
(02) 6739 0700
Contact hours: 8.30am-4.30pm Monday to Friday
- 68 Church Street, Glen Innes NSW
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (02) 6739 0750
- Glen Innes area office