Cullendulla Creek Nature Reserve
An easy walk offering great birdwatching opportunities, Mangrove walk is partly along an elevated boardwalk, giving an insight into the unusual dune formations.
- Cullendulla Creek Nature Reserve
- 1km loop
- Time suggested
- 15 - 45min
- Grade 3
- Opening times
While the boardwalk section through the mangroves is suitable for wheelchairs, parts of the track are sand and this makes wheelchair access difficult.
- Please note
- Drinking water is not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
- Shore birds are best seen on low tide, so check the tides charts beforehand. Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch.
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out and remember to take a hat.
Right beside Cullendulla Beach, the Mangrove walk is the only one of its kind in the entire area. Raised boardwalks thread through the marine park sanctuary zone of Cullendulla Creek.
At low tide, Australian white ibises forage in the sand here, while large groups of solider crabs march back and forth. The track also passes swamp oak forest, an endangered ecological community. Bring some binoculars and take advantage of the bench seats along the way for a round of birdwatching.
Signs along the walk help you get the most out of any visit, highlighting features like the unusual dune formations called ‘cheniers.’ These scenic ridges contain a staggering 7000 years of shoreline changes stored in their sand.
Sign up to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with information, new products, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Saving our Species is a innovative conservation program in NSW. It aims to halt and reverse the growing numbers of Australian animals and plants facing extinction. This program aims to secure as many threatened species that can be secured in the wild as possible, for the next 100 years.
- in Cullendulla Creek Nature Reserve in the South Coast region
Cullendulla Creek Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
(02) 4454 9500
Contact hours: 9am-4pm Monday to Friday
- Blackburn Industrial Estate, Lot 9 Coller Road, Ulladulla NSW
- Fax: (02) 4455 1850
(02) 4423 2170
Contact hours: 8.30am-4.30pm Monday to Friday
- 55 Graham Street, Nowra NSW
- Fax: (02) 4422 7041