Bald Hill tourist mine
Hill End Historic Site
Experience the underground world of a goldminer at Bald Hill tourist mine. A short walk or drive from Hill End, this guided tour is ideal for families and school groups.
- Historic buildings/places
- Hill End Historic Site
- Opening times
Bald Hill tourist mine is:
- Open most weekends, and weekday tours can be arranged.
- Closed on Christmas Day.
- Open for school groups, so bookings are recommended to avoid disappointment.
- What to
- Drinking water
- To book a tour, contact Northeys Store on 0407 187 275.
- For further enquiries about the guided tour, please call (02) 6337 8224.
- Please note
- Good, closed shoes are recommended.
- Bookings recommended to avoid disappointment during busy times.
- Don’t forget a camera for ‘ghost shots’.
Bald Hill tourist mine offers a unique opportunity to step into an original 1870s mine shaft and experience the subterranean world of a colonial goldminer. It’s easily accessible by car on the way to Beaufoy Merlin lookout, or just a short 30-minute walk along Bald Hill walking track, from the township of Hill End. It’s a fantastic day trip or family excursion, and guided tours are very popular with school groups.
The guided tour offers insights into the life and work of miners during the gold rush and a great introduction to the history of Hill End. You’ll see demonstrations of hammer and tap mining techniques and walk down original mine shafts.
Looking down the 80m tunnel, you can just imagine what life was like for the miners underground. If you’re feeling adventurous, choose to climb the 30m ladder to exit via the ventilation shaft.
Sign up to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with information, new products, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Saving our Species is a innovative conservation program in NSW. It aims to halt and reverse the growing numbers of Australian animals and plants facing extinction. This program aims to secure as many threatened species that can be secured in the wild as possible, for the next 100 years.
- in Hill End Historic Site in the Country NSW region
Hill End Historic Site is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Hill End area office
(02) 6337 8206
Contact hours: Monday to Friday 8.30am-4.30pm daily (closed 12.30pm-1.30pm). Closed weekends and public holidays.
- Beyers Avenue, Hill End NSW
- Hill End area office