Mount Keira Ring track
Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area
Encircling Mount Keira, the ring track passes through the varied terrains and forests of the Illawarra Escarpment, starting and finishing in a perfect picnic spot.
- Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area
- 5.5km loop
- Time suggested
- 3hrs 30min - 4hrs 30min
- Grade 4
- Opening times
The track-head at Byarong Park is open from sunrise to sunset.
- Please note
- Please take care on this walk, stay on the track and keep a safe distance from cliff edges.
- Drinking water isn't available in this area, so you'll need to bring your own supply.
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out and remember to take a hat.
- The walking opportunities in this park are suitable for experienced bushwalkers who are comfortable undertaking self-reliant hiking.
- There is limited mobile phone reception.
Circling Mount Keira in an engaging loop, the ring track is a terrific setting for a casual hike or an energetic run. Expect to encounter a lush parade of forests and terrain, from cool sub-tropical bush to lofty red cedars and rocky outcrops. Catbirds call in the rainforest as you trace the old route of an early colonial road.
You’ll find the track-head by following the trail from the car park to the Girl Guide Camp entrance road. Cross the road, rejoining the trail on the other side. The ring track is just a short distance away.
If you want to make a day of it, pack a picnic. Byarong Park picnic area is a terrific spot to settle down for a relaxing barbecue or an afternoon ball game.
Sign up to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with information, new products, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Saving our Species is a innovative conservation program in NSW. It aims to halt and reverse the growing numbers of Australian animals and plants facing extinction. This program aims to secure as many threatened species that can be secured in the wild as possible, for the next 100 years.
- in Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area in the South Coast region
Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger. However, it is recommended that bushwalking only be undertaken during daylight hours because of the presence of cliff edges and other hazards.
(02) 4224 4188
Contact hours: 9.00am-3.00pm Monday to Friday
- Ground Floor, 84 Crown Street, Wollongong NSW
- Email: email@example.com
Fax: (02) 4224 4199