Circuit walking track
Watagans National Park
Circuit walking track is an easy walk near Newcastle. Plunging into rainforest, following the creek as it passes a dramatic moss-covered rock wall, this is a great place to visit.
- Watagans National Park
- 0.620km loop
- Time suggested
- Please note
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out and take a hat
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
- Boarding House Dam picnic area is a popular destination for daytrippers, so parking may be limited.
- Drinking water is not available on the trail, so please bring your own.
- There is limited/no mobile reception in this park
Starting at the Boarding House Dam picnic area, Circuit walking track offers you an easy hike along the creek as it threads through pristine native rainforest. Stroll beneath blue gums, grey myrtle and turpentine, keeping an eye out for lyrebirds and an ear open for kookaburras. A dramatic rock wall covered entirely in moss makes for a beautiful spectacle on the trail – so don’t forget the camera.
In summer, the rainforest makes for a cool retreat, with trees and ferns shading the trail from the sun. But for an even cooler one, bring your swimmers along and make your way into the creek or dam at the end of the walk for a paddle. Finish up with a long picnic, taking advantage of the free barbecues on offer.
Sign up to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with information, new products, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Saving our Species is a innovative conservation program in NSW. It aims to halt and reverse the growing numbers of Australian animals and plants facing extinction. This program aims to secure as many threatened species that can be secured in the wild as possible, for the next 100 years.
- in Watagans National Park in the North Coast region
Watagans National Park is always open, but may have to close at times due to poor weather, roads closures or high fire danger.
(02) 4972 9000
Contact hours: 8.30am-4pm Monday to Friday
- Blue Wren Drive, Munmorah State Conservation Area
- Fax: (02) 4972 9055
- Lake Munmorah