Browns Forest loop trail
Dalrymple-Hay Nature Reserve
An easy walk in unspoilt blue gum forest, Browns Forest loop trail, in Dalrymple-Hay Nature Reserve, St Ives, offers great birdwatching and is a great walk for kids.
- Dalrymple-Hay Nature Reserve
- No disabled access
- 1.3km loop
- Time suggested
- Please note
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out and remember to take a hat
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go birdwatching
- Drinking water is limited or not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
- It’s a good idea to wear insect repellent and long-sleeved clothing, as ticks are known to be present in the area.
If you’ve ever wondered what Sydney looked like before the city took over, then head to Browns Forest loop trail, in the North Sydney suburb of St Ives. Immerse yourself in unspoilt bushland within Dalrymple-Hay Nature Reserve by taking advantage of its short and easy walking track. Just 30 minutes north of the CBD, it’s ideal for birdwatching enthusiasts, nature-lovers and botanists, and is a great walk for kids.
You’ll enter a forest of majestic blue gums and magnificent blackbutts that hark back to pre-colonial times with a lush understorey of ferns. Following the clearly signposted path, the kids will enjoy the self-guided series of interpretation signs.
In the spring, the ground cover of native flowers, such as the blue flax lily and pastel flower, burst into a colourful display. Any time of year, you’ll hear the chatter of birds such as rainbow lorikeets, crimson rosellas and king parrots echoing through the bush.
Sign up to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with information, new products, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Saving our Species is a innovative conservation program in NSW. It aims to halt and reverse the growing numbers of Australian animals and plants facing extinction. This program aims to secure as many threatened species that can be secured in the wild as possible, for the next 100 years.
- in Dalrymple-Hay Nature Reserve in the Sydney and surrounds region
Dalrymple-Hay Nature Reserve is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
(02) 8448 0400
Contact hours: 9am-4pm Monday to Friday
- Lane Cove National Park, Lady Game Drive, Chatswood NSW
Fax: (02) 8448 0444