Awaba Bay Foreshore walk
Lake Macquarie State Conservation Area
Take a stroll along the shores of Lake Macquarie on Awaba Bay Foreshore walk, enjoying the spectacular scenic lake views while birdwatching and keeping an eye out for dolphins and green sea turtles.
- Lake Macquarie State Conservation Area
- 1.5km one-way
- Time suggested
- Please note
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out and remember to take a hat
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
- A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters
- Drinking water is not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
- There is limited/no mobile reception in this park
Discover why the locals love living here and take Awaba Bay Foreshore walk. Listen to the birds first thing in the morning, enjoy the views of the sparkling lake, and feel the cool breeze off the water on a warm day.
You’ll hear the call of frogs and the laughter of kookaburras, and see lorikeets and sea eagles above the tree tops – don’t forget your binoculars for birdwatching. As you walk along the shore, perhaps you’ll be lucky enough to spot the beautiful dolphins and green sea turtles that call Lake Macquarie home.
Diverse habitats make this an interesting and varied walk; you’ll pass a swamp complex between Alexanders picnic area and Hepplewhites Shack, as well as tall open forest and the grassy areas of the picnic sites. Take the time to stop at one of these and enjoy the peace of this beautiful place, so special to locals and visitors alike.
Sign up to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with information, new products, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Saving our Species is a innovative conservation program in NSW. It aims to halt and reverse the growing numbers of Australian animals and plants facing extinction. This program aims to secure as many threatened species that can be secured in the wild as possible, for the next 100 years.
- in Lake Macquarie State Conservation Area in the Sydney and surrounds and North Coast regions
- Lake Munmorah
(02) 4972 9000
Contact hours: 8.30am-4pm Monday to Friday
- Blue Wren Drive, Munmorah State Conservation Area
- Fax: (02) 4972 9055
- Lake Munmorah