Gunjulla Flat picnic area
Royal National Park
Gunjulla Flat picnic area is a lovely rest area, great for birdwatching, while on a car tour of Royal National Park, near Waterfall.
- Picnic areas
- Royal National Park
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
- Strong rips and currents may be present at this beach, so take care in the water and please supervise children at all times.
- Toilets are located at Waterfall Train Station and Garie Beach picnic area
This is a beautiful spot for a quick bite to eat or a stretch of the legs before exploring Australia’s oldest national park, near Waterfall. Gunjulla Flat picnic area, on the western edge of Royal National Park, is a quick and easy pit stop on a day trip or car tour of the park.
Pull up and lay out a picnic spread on one of the tables and enjoy a rustic bush setting. It’s an ideal spot for a breather while road cycling around the park, or a great place if prepping your gear for a day exploring the hinterland. It’s only a short drive along McKell Avenue to Couranga walking track or Forest path.
The surrounding heath attracts birds such as fantail cuckoos, pigeons and quails. In the spring, when the heath erupts with wildflowers, you might see honey eaters and wattlebirds feeding on the banksias.
The conservation and coastal engravings project in the Royal National Park is working to preserve one of the region’s finest expressions of Aboriginal culture: the Jibbon Headland Aboriginal engravings. A new boardwalk and viewing platform limit the foot access that was damaging the engravings, while encroaching soil and vegetation are being removed.
- in Royal National Park in the Sydney and surrounds and South Coast regions
Royal National National Park is open 7am to 8.30pm but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$11 per vehicle per day.Buy an annual pass.
Royal National Park area office
(02) 9542 0632
Contact hours: 9am-4:30pm Monday to Friday (closed public holidays)
- 159 Farnell Avenue, Royal National Park, NSW
- Fax: (02) 9542 1420
- Royal National Park area office
Royal National Park Visitor Centre
(02) 9542 0648
Contact hours: 8.30am-4.30pm daily (closed Christmas Day)
- 2 Lady Carrington Drive, Audley, Royal National Park, NSW
- Fax: (02) 9542 1420
- Royal National Park Visitor Centre