Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
The Sphinx Memorial at Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park was carved out of sandstone by a returned soldier. Explore Australian military history on the Sphinx walking track.
- Historic buildings/places
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Opening times
Sphinx Memorial closes at 5.30pm (Monday - Sunday).
- Please note
- You'll need to bring your own drinking water.
Sphinx Memorial is a sandstone monument created in memory of lives lost in the First World War and was created by a returned soldier in the 1920s. Bushwalkers exploring Sphinx Memorial to Bobbin Head loop track might be surprised to find this unusual symbol of Australian military history tucked away in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
Grab something to eat at nearby Bobbin Head, or pack your lunch and stop for a picnic at Sphinx Memorial, where you’ll find plenty of grassy spots to sit and relax.
Take a virtual tour of Sphinx Memorial on Google Street View.
Sign up to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with information, new products, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Saving our Species is a innovative conservation program in NSW. It aims to halt and reverse the growing numbers of Australian animals and plants facing extinction. This program aims to secure as many threatened species that can be secured in the wild as possible, for the next 100 years.
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Gates to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay are closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am at other times of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am at other times of the year.
Park entry fees:
$11 per vehicle per day. Bus or taxi: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). There is no daily entry fee for teachers/educational supervisors (1 adult per 10 children).Buy an annual pass.
Sydney North (Bobbin Inn, Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park)
(02) 9472 8949
Contact hours: 10am-4pm daily. 9am-4pm during summer school holidays (closed 12pm-12:30pm) (closed Christmas Day)
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, Bobbin Head Road, Mount Colah
Fax: (02) 9457 0113
- Sydney North (Bobbin Inn, Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park)
The Basin and Beechwood Cottage (Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park)
(02) 9974 1011
- Fax: (02) 9974 4036
- The Basin and Beechwood Cottage (Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park)
Sydney North (Kalkari Discovery Centre)
(02) 9472 9300
(02) 9472 9301
Contact hours: 9am to 5pm daily (closed Christmas Day)
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, Ku-ring-gai Chase Road, Mount Colah
- Sydney North (Kalkari Discovery Centre)